QuMat 2023 Yearly meeting in Nijmegen
The first yearly meeting will take place 23 – 25 October in Nijmegen at the Lindenberg Cultuurhuis!
The Yearly meeting is a three-day meeting where all QuMat scientist, and associated members as well as the two advisory boards (SAC / ISOAC) come together to share scientific results, discus challenges and opportunities within the consortium and find new cross-pillar collaborations.
The registration for the yearly meeting is now closed!
For QuMat hotel discounts, click here!
Slides from presentations
Lab tours at Radboud
On Tuesday morning, 9:00 – 10:30 , there will be tours of the laboratory facilities at Radboud.
- High Field Magnet Laboratory (HFML)
- Free-Electron Laser (FELIX)
- Scanning Probe Microscopy (SPM)
- Ultrafast Spectroscopy (USCM)
We are happy to see that so many people wishes to take part in the site visit. Based on the given preferences we will begin the tour at the FELIX/HFML and after that we split into the SPM and USCM.
The tours will begin at the HFML-FELIX magnetic lab. We kindly ask that you arrive at the laboratory 8:50 at the latest (10 minutes before the start of the tour).
The address of the laboratory is Toernooiveld 7, 6525 ED Nijmegen (see map below).
From the railway station you can take the bus line 10 (Heijendaal shuttle) to the campus. It leaves in front of the Mercure hotel (railwaystation) and your get out at Huygensbuilding (your have to walk around the Huygens building).
After the site visit, there will be chartered busses that take us back to the Lindeberg.
Monday October 23
08.30 Arrival and registration
09.45 Welcome and intro
10.00 Plenary Speaker
- Prof. Duncan Haldane – Princeton University
- Geometry and fluid dynamics of the Quantum Hall effect
10.45 Update on Pillar 1
11.15 Coffee break
11.30 – 12:30 Contributed talks
- Lucas Maisel Licerán (UU) – Topology of Bi2Se3 nanosheets
- Dennis Klaassen (UT) – Moiré-modulated band gap and van Hove singularities in twisted bilayer germanene
- Xiaoli Peng (RUG) – Ion-gating established metallic contact for achieving high mobility in transition metal dichalcogenides
13.30 Poster session / Meeting EB , SAC, ISOAC
15.00 Update on MT-Pillar
15.30 – 16:15 Contributed talks
- 15:30 MengXing Na (UBC) – Time-resolved ARPES
Tuesday October 24
- Prof. Yuriy Mokrousov – Mainz University
- Orbital Magnetism out of Equilibrium
11.45 Update on Pillar 2
13.45 – 14.45 Contributed talks
- Thijs Roskamp (UT) – Scanning SQUID microscopy: A tool to study the smallest and weakest magnets
- Thomas Metzger (RU) – THz magnetism of antiferromagnetic CoF2 and NiO/Pt in the non-collinear phase
- Viktoriya Radkovskaya (RU) – Light-Driven Control of Spin-Wave Damping in an Antiferromagnet
14:45 – 15:30 Plenary Speaker
- Prof. Yoichi Ando – University of Cologne
- Title: Superconducting proximity effect in topological insulators
15.45 Update on Pillar 3
16.15 – 17.15 Contributed talks
- Karina Hudson (TUD) – Planar Ge: a new host for topological superconductivity
- Andrey Bagrov (RU) – Strong enhancement of superconductivity in fractal lattices
Strijit Goswami (TUD) – Majorana bound states in artificial Kitaev chains(canceled)
17.15 End of day
Wednesday October 25
09.00 – 10.00 Staff meeting
10.00 – 10.45 Plenary Speaker
- Prof. Andrey Kirilyuk – Radboud University, FELIX
- Title: Phono-magnetism
10.45 Coffee break
11.00 Update on Pillar 4
11.30 – 12.50 Contributed talks
- Andres Botello (UU) – Defects on hBN for quantum emitters: A DFT and BSE study
- Daniel Muis (TUD) – Optical Energy Localization at a Valley Photonic Crystal Waveguide Termination
- Riccardo Reho (UU) – Identification of high-energy excitations in two-dimensional topological Bi2Se3 nanoplatelets
- Thomas Blank (RU) – 2D THz Spectroscopy of Nonlinear Phononics in the Toplogical Insulator MnBi2Te4
12.50 Price ceremony: “best poster” and concluding remarks
13.20 Lunch (for interested)
14.20 End of program
About the poster prize
At the end of the Yearly meeting a poster prize will be given to the best poster.
The prize for best poster will be a gift card to the value of € 200.
The selection process to find the best poster will be announced at a later time.
Hotels will not be bookable through QuMat. However we have revived some offers from nearby hotels that you can use when you book your own hotel stay:
Room price per night:
Double room including breakfast: €115
Double room excluding breakfast: €105
Booking procedure: Contact hotel after booking and state that the room is for QuMat.
Room price per night
One person bedroom including breakfast: €140
Two person bedroom including breakfast: €162
Tourist tax: €3,17 per person per night.
Parking: €11,00 per car per day.
Period October 22 – 25.
Offer expires September 1, 2023.
Booking code: RU-AMQ23